Friday, June 18, 2010

Loitering in Front of the Microwave by Chris Butler

Loitering in Front of the Microwave



The answer to all of life’s dumb questions

radiate against my brain;

while I loiter in front of the microwave.



I stare vacantly at the sixty-seven cent

frozen pizza insistently spinning

in inconsistent, unceremonious circles,



perturbed to observe the plant and animal

byproducts combust, by

counting down for something to change,



still envisioning thermonuclear waves

undergoing similar molecular

decompositions upon the human skin,



as I stand in a stranger’s kitchen, questioning

the act of fasting a starved artist,

as I loiter in front of the microwave.




Chris Butler is a twenty-something nobody shouting from the Quiet Corner of Connecticut.He has previously published two chapped books, Emo (2010) and The War of Art (2010), and the upcoming collection Black Tits, co-written with the beatnik poet laureate of Cambodia, Randall Rogers.